In December 2020, UAE Government launched the ‘UAE Strategy for Domestic Tourism’ with the aim to unify local and federal efforts to harness the UAE’s tourism resources and reinforce the role of domestic tourism in the national economy.
In 2019, the UAE’s domestic tourism sector contributed AED 41.2 billion to the national economy. It constitutes 23 per cent of the total revenue of the tourism sector. As part of the new strategy, the country aims to double the revenue of domestic tourism and achieve a greater balance between the domestic and international tourism by 2030.
As part of the strategy, the Government will coordinate efforts to highlight the UAE’s major natural, cultural, heritage and historical attractions. It will use surveys to collect data on peoples’ interests to develop a unique touristic experience. The Government will also develop a comprehensive plan to launch tourism campaigns and initiatives throughout the year.
The ‘World’s Coolest Winter’, is the UAE’s first federal tourism campaign. The 45-days campaign aims to highlight the major landmarks and attractions that distinguish the seven emirates from each other and contribute to the UAE as a single destination. The campaign invites the public to explore the hidden gems of the seven emirates, rediscover the UAE’s landmarks, reconnect with nature and share their experiences on social media platforms.
The strategy will be implemented through a number of measures that include:
- building capabilities and diversifying resources to boost the local tourism in each emirate
- supporting the growth of domestic tourism companies
- driving investment in local tourism projects
- developing policies and plans to promote domestic tourism in the UAE under a unified tourism identity
- launching training and academic programmes in domestic tourism
- unifying local tourism legislations
- building public-private partnerships in the tourism sector
- inviting the hospitality sector to offer promotional packages that encourage winter tourism across the UAE
- launching a website on domestic tourism in the UAE.
Along with the strategy, the government announced a new unified tourism identity to promote the UAE as a single tourist destination. The unified identity is aligned with the objectives of the UAE Nation Brand to establish a positive image of the country regionally and internationally.
Read related news coverage on WAM.